I’ve had a lot of time to think about this. For the past 3+ months, in fact, I’ve known what my #1 New Year’s Resolution would be. NO MORE RACES. I also told myself I needed to blog about it ASAP in order to cement this contract with myself before I broke my resolutions. Too late.
Here it is anyway folks:
#1 NO MORE RACES
#2 Stop saying “YES!!” any time any friend asks me to race (see #1)
#3 Drop the excess weight so that I can run more effectively
#4 If/when resolution #1 is broken, do no hound friends to start gunning for the Marine Corps Marathon lottery
#5 If/when resolution #2 is broken, make sure it is NOT a night race!
That’s about it I think. But as I was drafting this resolution list for the year, of course I would have my best damn run of 2013. I was begging my body to do some good runs for months and all I got back was pain and failure. Then, when I write it off completely (though still having to somewhat train for Miami), I go out and have an amazing 5 mile run, followed by an amazing 6 mile run. What is that all about?? Then I start hearing the ticking clock that is the countdown to Marine Corps lottery signup. Then I maybe called some old military buds and told them we need to do this. More on that later. Let’s just say my phone calls were not as welcome as I had hoped.
We’ll see what this year brings with running. But it still remains that I could go without the pressure of racing.
1. Broken (debatable)
What’s that, 2 out of 5 intact? That’s not bad right? Technically #1 isn’t broken because this race was scheduled before I put this on the resolution list. I’m thinking it’s definitely a 3 out of 5 intact.
1. COMPLETELY broken – 3 race entries in the bag at present, and we’re only 42 days into the new year… no words
2. ALSO completely broken – spouse got me to say yes again to Disney Wine and Dine and race pal got me to say yes again to Miami. Unbelievable. I understand now that I have a problem. I can never say NO to a race.
3. …working on it.
4. Intact! … well, we’re planning on 2015 v. 2014
5. Broken – see #2. Masochistic much?
2. Ok, outside of the 2/11/14 update, nobody has asked me to do a race with them, so still intact!
3. …STILL a work in progress 😦
4. Wow… this is so broken that it’s almost a joke. We got into the Guaranteed Entry 17.75k and are doing the MCM in October. We’re in the middle of training right now. I can’t believe it.
5. Intact!! We didn’t get into Disney Wine and Dine Half! Thankful for unanswered prayers!